Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wrong Side of the Tracks

A perfectly nice day in a perfectly nice SEEMING town. Like a Transformer (tm), There is more here than meets the eye!


The other day, I ended up walking home from a different station than I usually do. It was a nice day, and the walk through the quiet neighborhood was peaceful and relaxing.

That is, until I noticed THE SIGN.

The sign in question was a yellow paper, your standard 8 1/2 x 11 page, laminated, and taped to a fence.
It looked like a haiku, and since I like that kind of thing, I stopped to read it.
It said:
変な人 (hen na hito)
話しかけられても (hanashi kakeraretemo)
話しちゃダメ (hanashicha dame)

Well, THAT's not in 5-7-5 verse! I scoffed superiorly, until I did a comedic mental double-take. WHAA?
Wait a second, did that sign say what I thought it said?
...yep.

"Strange people
Even if they talk to you
Don't talk back."

Well, there goes my plan to start random conversations in that neighborhood! *budum-ching*,
I joked to myself, and continued on my merry way.
But my merry way was littered with these signs, posted on windows, doors, gates, fences, all different, all creepy.

Slightly troubled and bemused, I went around snapping pictures of the signs.
Which of course in retrospect seems like a stalkery thing to do, and I'm probably lucky I wasn't arrested by a clearly traumatized populace.

whoops-a-daisy!

Anyways, in a move of support and solace, I am posting these up here for your amusement sympathy.

minna no me
kodomo wo mamoru
bouzai kamera
warui hito!
boku-tachi minna mo
miteru kara!
dourobo-san
anata no mirai
jigoku-yuki
tasukeai
minna mimamoru
Everyone's eyes
Are child-protecting
security cameras.
Bad People!
each and every one of us!
Are watching you!
Mr. thief
Your future
is hell-bound.
Help each other
Watch out for one another

This was the other side of the train tracks from my neighborhood, literally, and even though it looked like a perfectly nice normal place, I can't help but wonder. What the hell happened to you, my neighbors?!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, this needs to be added to passiveaggressivenotes.com.
~Viet

11:54 PM  
Blogger Kyra said...

you read that site too? I love them!
...I tried sending them official train manners signs (the ones with cartoons), but no luck. ;) maybe this will be better...

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home